EGGLESS GLUTEN-FREE RAGI BROWNIES
Ragi or Nachni or Finger-millet as it is often called is a wonder grain mostly used in western and southern parts of India. A rich source of calcium helps in weight loss, regulate blood sugar levels also helps fight Anaemia. This miraculous grain should be regularly incorporated in our daily meals.
But as it is gluten free, kids tend to dislike this. So here’s a wonderful way to feed this grain to kids through BROWNIES. A big thanks to Anshu Wadhwa Pande whose post has inspired this recipe.
RAGI CHOCOLATE BROWNIES
- 1 cup Ragi/Nachni flour
- 100 grams dark chocolate
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar/brown sugar
- 4 cooking tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup grape juice/orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup Almond powder
- 2 tablespoon choco chips (optional)
- Chop the chocolate bar into small pieces and melt it over double boiler. (In a small pan boil 1 cup water. Place a heat proof glass bowl over this pan taking care that the base of glass bowl does not touch boiling water.)
- Once the chocolate is melted set it aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl take ragi flour, sugar, almond powder, salt and baking powder and mix well using a whip or sieve it twice.
- In another large mixing bowl, take peeled bananas and mash them using a fork. To this add the chocolate, oil and vanilla essence and mix everything well.
- Pre heat oven at 200C . Grease a baking mould with sone oil and line with parchment. (I have used a round silicon 8 inch mould, so no greasing and lining required)
- Now add half the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and half of the grape juice. Mix well.
- Then add the remaining dry mixture and grape juice and choco chips to the wet mix. Mix gently to get a lump free batter.
- Pour this into the baking mould. Sprinkle some choco chips on top and bake in a preheated oven at 180C for about 25-30 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
* For baking without oven. In a broad pan/pressure cooker add 1 cup of coarse salt crystal. Cover the lid and let it heat on a medium flame for about 15 minutes. Then keep the batter filled baking mould and bake for around 35-40minutes on a slow flame.
Remove the whistle if using pressure cooker before covering the lid.