For step by step recipe of TANDOORI CHICKEN-WITHOUT TANDOOR, watch our video recipe on the link given below
LOW CALORIE DAHI VADA
Yet another recipe very popular in many of our homes .. DAHI VADA or DAHI BHALLEY commonly called in some parts of North India.
We, the generation of today is very much health conscious and find healthier ways to make variety of recipes. So how can Dahi vada become healthy. Simple skip the deep frying of vadas and you get the healthiest version of this dish.
Here is my version of the famous DAHI VADA with negligible amount of oil. I cooked them in APPE PAN. You can also steam these like idlis.
LOW CALORIE DAHI VADA
- 1 cup split black gram(urad dal)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- A pinch of Hing/asafoetida
- 1/4 teaspoon jeera powder
- 2 cups of low fat dahi/curd
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 4 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Red chilli powder
- Jeera powder
- Chat masala
- Tamarind chutney(optional)
- Soak 1 cup urad dal in 3 cups of water for 3-4 hours. Once soaked drain excess water and grind it to a thick paste.
- To this add salt, jeera powder and hing. Whisk this vada paste well with the help of a spoon or using hand for a good 3-4 minutes. Cover and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- In the mean time, prepare the sweet dahi that is used to dip these vadas. Mix together curd, milk and sugar. Set aside.
- After 15 minutes you will see the batter is light and fluffy. Give it a mix for last time before cooking.
- Now, heat the APPE PAN and brush with very little oil. Spoon the batter into the sections provided. Let one side cook on a low flame for about 4minutes.
- Once all the vadas are done, in a serving plate pour some sweet dahi on the base. Now arrange these vadas and pour the rest of the dahi.
- *** See to it that the vadas are covered with dahi. Press them a bit with the help of a spoon or spatula for the dahi to be soaked in them.
- Garnish with red chilli powder, jeera powder, chat masala and tamarind chutney.
VADA PAV – MUMBAI SPECIAL
Vada pav, not just a famous Mumbai street food but popular around the country with variation in taste as per region. A whole meal on the go. Our Indian burger made with spicy potato mix stuffed in chick pea batter and deep fried and served between sliced Pav(indian bun) along with spicy chutney and fried green chillies.
Pav is store bought but you can make them at home too (Recipe to follow in later posts). But here is my recipe of the Batata vada.
- 5-6 medium sized potatoes
- 6-8 garlic cloves
- 1-2 green chillies
- 1 tablespoon oil + for deep frying vadas
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- A pinch of asafoetida/hing
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder/haldi
- Salt as per taste
FOR COATING BATTER
- 1 & 1/2 cup Chickpea flour/besan
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida/hing
- A pinch of baking soda
- 1/2 water or as per requirement.
FOR THE RED CHUTNEY
- 1 medium sized onion, sliced
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 3-4 whole dry red chilli
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds/Jeera
- 2 tablespoon grated dry coconut
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds/til
- Salt to taste
MAKING THE RED CHUTNEY
- ◆ Deep fry the sliced onion till golden brown. Remove on absorbent paper.
- ◆ In a pan take 1 teaspoon oil, add jeera garlic, dried red chillies grated coconut and til. Saute till everything is well toasted and fragrant. Allow it to cool.
- ◆Once cool grind it along with the crisp onions and salt. Your red chutney is ready.
MAKING THE VADAS
- ◆Boil the potatoes until tender and cooked. Peel and mash them.
- ◆ Crush garlic and green chillies using mortar and pestle.
- ◆In a pan take oil once hot add mustard seed. Allow them to crackle. Add hing and curry leaves followed by garlic-chilli paste and turmeric.
- ◆Add this mixture to the mashed potatoes. Add salt.
- ◆Combine everything well. Make medium sized balls and set aside.
- ◆Prepare the batter by mixing all the ingredients. The batter should be smooth and thick enough to coat the vadas.
- ◆Place a pan with oil on high heat. Once oil is hot reduce to medium.
- ◆Dip the vadas in the batter and coat from all sides.
- ◆Fry until golden brown and crisp from all sides.
- ◆Also fry few green chillies and drain sprinkle some salt on them.
Slit the pav horizontally , put some red chutney on the pav keep a vada and press a bit to flatten. Serve with fried chillies and more red chutney.You can also serve green chutney and sweet date and tamarind chutney with this.
- 8 slices brown bread
- 1 & 1/2 cup boiled sprouted Turkish gram( mothh/mathki) or any other sprouted pulses
- 1 medium potato boiled.
- 1 small onion finely chopped(optional)
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- Salt to taste
- 1 beetroot boiled and sliced
- 1 medium capsicum sliced
- 1/2 cup processed cheese grated (optional)
- 4-5 tbsp mayonnaise
- 4-5 tablespoon Green Chutney
- 5 tbsp Tomato ketchup
- Butter for toasting sandwich.
- In a bowl mash the potato, add boiled sprouts, chaat masala, chopped onions, cheese and salt. Mix well and keep aside.
- Take bread slices and trim off the edges. Apply green chutney on 4 slices and mayonnaise on other 4.
- Spread the mixture generously on the slices spread with mayonnaise.
- Top with sliced beetroot and capsicum. Place the chutney coated bread. You can put a slice of cheese for extra flavour.
- Apply butter on both sides and toast till nicely browned.
- Serve with tomato ketchup and chutney.
- 250 grams of boneless chicken
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped ginger garlic
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- Salt as per taste
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 4 tablespoon finely chopped capsicum(red yellow green)
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated processed cheese
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 8 brown bread slices
- Butter for toasting.
- 1. Clean and wash the chicken properly.
- 2. Heat a pan and add chicken pieces to it. Add salt, black pepper powder and chopped ginger garlic to it. Add few tablespoon water and cook until the chicken is tender.
- 3. Once chicken is cooked well, cool it and shred it with the help of a fork.
- 4. In a large mixing bowl, add chicken shreds, cabbage, carrots, capsicum, spring onion, cheese and mayonnaise. Mix everything well using a fork.
- 5. Now trim the edges of the bread and spread the chicken cheese mayo mixture on one slice and cover with another.
- 6. Toast on girdle using butter and serve.
A well known recipe of Konkan regions of Maharashtra State of India. This recipe needs no introduction. A humble dish wherein prawns are marinated and fried using gram flour and few spices. Makes a real good starter for any occasion
- 15-20 medium sized Prawns
- 1/4 cup Gram flour/besan
- 1 tablespoon corn flour/rice flour
- 3 tablespoon yogurt/Dahi
- 1 tablespoon Ginger garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon Lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Kashmiri Red Chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon oil for marination
- Oil for deep frying
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala to sprinkle before serving.
- Peel and devein the prawns, wash thoroughly and pat dry.
- Marinate the prawns in ginger garlic paste, 1/2 tbsp Kashmiri red chilli powder, coriander powder, lime juice and salt for 20 minutes.
- Squeeze out the extra moisture, add corn flour, gram flour/besan, 1/2 tbsp Kashmiri chilli powder, rest of the lemon juice, yoghurt and 1 tsp of oil.Mix all the spices with the marinated prawns.
- Heat oil for frying the prawns and maintain the temperature throughout frying to medium hot. Fry prawns in small batches and drain in an absorbent paper.
- Sprinkle chat masala and add a dash of lime juice. Toss all the prawns well and serve.
- 1 kilo kheema/meat mince (Lamb or chicken)
- 4 tablespoon Ginger-Garlic paste
- 1 teaspooon green chilli paste
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/4 cup raw papaya paste(optional)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup roasted chana/chickpea
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander leaves and mint leaves.
- 1 large onion, grated
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- Salt to taste.
- Oil for shallow frying
- Take mince in a food processor/mixer and churn it for half a minute.
- Grind roasted chana to a fine powder.
- Take the mince in a large mixing bowl. To this add the chana powder and rest all the ingredients except oil and mix well.
- Keep aside to marinate in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a pan. Make kebab of desired shape and size and shallow fry till evenly browned on either side.
- Serve with mint chutney and raw onions rings.