LOW CALORIE DAHI VADA
Yet another recipe very popular in many of our homes .. DAHI VADA or DAHI BHALLEY commonly called in some parts of North India.
We, the generation of today is very much health conscious and find healthier ways to make variety of recipes. So how can Dahi vada become healthy. Simple skip the deep frying of vadas and you get the healthiest version of this dish.
Here is my version of the famous DAHI VADA with negligible amount of oil. I cooked them in APPE PAN. You can also steam these like idlis. For a video demo kindly click the link below
- 1 cup split black gram(urad dal)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- A pinch of Hing/asafoetida
- 1/4 teaspoon jeera powder
- 2 cups of low fat dahi/curd
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 4 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Red chilli powder
- Jeera powder
- Chat masala
- Tamarind chutney(optional)
- Soak 1 cup urad dal in 3 cups of water for 3-4 hours. Once soaked drain excess water and grind it to a thick paste.
- To this add salt, jeera powder and hing. Whisk this vada paste well with the help of a spoon or using hand for a good 3-4 minutes. Cover and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- In the mean time, prepare the sweet dahi that is used to dip these vadas. Mix together curd, milk and sugar. Set aside.
- After 15 minutes you will see the batter is light and fluffy. Give it a mix for last time before cooking.
- Now, heat the APPE PAN and brush with very little oil. Spoon the batter into the sections provided. Let one side cook on a low flame for about 4minutes.
- Once all the vadas are done, in a serving plate pour some sweet dahi on the base. Now arrange these vadas and pour the rest of the dahi.
- *** See to it that the vadas are covered with dahi. Press them a bit with the help of a spoon or spatula for the dahi to be soaked in them.
- Garnish with red chilli powder, jeera powder, chat masala and tamarind chutney.