My love for cakes and trying new ones lead me to google different variety. Just when I searched for a jaggery cake I came across this amazing wheat jaggery coconut cake from SriLanka. Its called HAKURU.
A healthy wholesome cake that would definitely be a hit among mother who want their kids to eat healthy.
So let’s see how it can be made
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1/4 cup Semolina/Rawa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup grated jaggery
- 5 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup fresh grated/dessicated coconut.
- 4 Green Cardamoms(Hari elaichi)
- 1/4 teaspoon Mace/Javitri powder.
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoon warm water.
- Preheat the oven to 160C for 10 minutes. Grease the cake mould with butter/oil.
- Roast the coconut until golden brown but take care it does not burn. Keep aside to cool
- In a blender jar take jaggery, oil and water and blend for 1 minute.
- To this add coconut, cardamom seeds, javitri powder and again blend for another 1 minute.
- Sift together wheat flour, rawa, baking powder and baking soda.
- Pty the wet ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add 1/3 of the flour mix and blend using a whisk or by spatula using cut n fold method.
- Repeat the same for the rest of the flour. Adjust the consistency using milk 1-2 tablespoon at a time.
- Transfer the batter into cake mould , tap the mould lightly twice and bake at 160C for about 40 minutes.
- If a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean means it’s done.
- Let this rest in the oven for about 10 minutes and then allow it to cool further on a wire rack.
- De mould and serve with fresh juice or black tea.