A Chinese proverb– ‘ KNOWLEDGE IS KNOWING TOMATO IS A FRUIT. WISDOM IS NOT PUTTING IT IN A FRUIT SALAD.’
I’m very sure that many of us dont even know that Tomato is a Fruit. Thats because we Indians always and as a rule use it along with veggies and lentils for savoury preparations.
Now here’s an unusual famous HYDERABADI dessert made from TOMATOES.. Yesss.. Sweet dish made from tomatoes.
SHAHJAHANI MEETHA(TAMATAR KA HALWA)
- 1/2kg Tomatoes (red, ripe but firm)
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup milk powder or 100 gms khoya/mawa
- 1/2tsp cardamom powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Cashewnuts for garnishing.
- Clean wash the tomatoes and blanch them in a pan with 1 cup water until soft. Remove the skin. Cut the thick crown part. Mash them and set aside.
- In a mixer jar, add peeled beetroot and grind to a fine paste with little water.
- In a thick bottom pan, heat ghee and add the mashed tomato pulp and milk. Cook on a medium flame till the moisture dries.
- Add milk powder/khoya, cardamom powder and sugar. Cook till sugar melts and everything is well incorporated.
- Garnish with sliced/chopped cashewnuts and thats it. Ready to be served.