SHAMI KEBABS are a non vegetarian variety but they can be made using vegetarian ingredients too. These are vegetarian shami kebab made using Soya chunks. So here’s a simple Veg Shami Kebab my way.
- 200grams Soya chunks
- 1/4 cup chana dal (split bengal gram/chickpea
- 1 large Onion(2 if using medium sized)
- 1 medium sized potato
- 4-5 large Garlic pods (10-12 if small)
- 1 inch piece of Ginger
- 1 green chilli
- 1 teaspoon jeera (cumin)
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 slices of day old bread or 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 4 tablespoon chopped green coriander
- 4 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
- Oil for shallow frying.
- Soak soya chunks in 5 cups of boiling water for an hour. Also soak chana dal in 1 cup of lukewarm water for an hour.
- After 1 hour squeeze water from the soya chunks. Also drain excess water from dal.
- In a pan add soya chunks, chana dal, roughly chopped onion and potato, garlic, ginger, green chilli, cumin seeds, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt. Add 1 and half cup of water and cook this with the pan covered on a medium flame until the soya chunks become soft and all the moisture dries up.
- Allow this mixture to cool. Once cooled completely, add bread slices/crumbs and blend this in food processor or mash and mix with hands all the ingredients to form a smooth paste.
- Now add lime juice, butter, chopped coriander and mint leaves and mix well.
- Now make pattie/kebab of desired size and shallow fry 4-5 kebabs at a time using 1 tablespoon oil.
- Serve as a starter, snack or side dish.