Its the year end and Indian Markets are flooded with oranges. Sweet, tangy juicy known for vitamin C reserves, oranges make a healthy filling snack. A citrus fruit known for its anti-oxidant properties and many other health benefits comes from the Nagpur city of Maharashtra State. These oranges are used in different cuisines to flavour various sweet and savoury dishes.
So lets make a healthy tangy sweet fudge from tbese lovely Oranges today. A perfect refreshing dessert.. SANTRA BARFI.
- 1 cup All purpose flour (maida)
- 4 tablespoon ghee in semi solid state
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 4 oranges whole
- 1 cup KHOYA/MAWA ( you can use milk powder instead of this). I used homemade mawa.
- 1 cup powdered sugar.(if using sweetened khoya then use 3/4 cup sugar)
- Orange colour (optional). I omitted this.
- Wash clean the oranges. Get orange zest by grating the coloured part of 2 whole oranges.
- Now peel all the 4 oranges and remove the thin transparent skin from the orange segments to obtain a fresh pulp.
- Heat a nonstick pan and add ghee and maida. Roast the maida till it turns nice golden brown in colour. (Be careful not to burn the flour)This would take approximately 20-25 minutes.
- Now add the orange pulp and the zest and cook for 5 minutes.
- To this add one-third of the orange juice and stir well ao that no lumps remain. Again add another third of rhe juice and repeat until the last third of the juice is also used up.
- Next goes the mawa/milk powder and sugar. Stir continuously so that no lump remain.
- Once the mixture starts coming together and leaves the sides, turn off the gas.
- Now empty this mixture on a greased(brushed with ghee) plate and flatten with help of a flat spatula or back of a bowl.
- Allow it to cool. When cooled completely score and cut into desired shape and size and enjoy this unique dessert.