- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder (unsweetened. I used Cadburys cocoa powder)
- 2 tbsp red food coloring
- ½cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 can condensed milk 400gms (milkmaid/mithaimate)
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature.
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
***Butter milk is not our regular chaas. This is how buttermilk is made. In 1cup milk add 1 tablespoon lime juice, stir and keep aside undisturbed for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes what you get is the butter milk which is to be added to this cake.***
- Preheat oven to 200C. Butter and flour two round cake pans.
- Sift together the all purpose flour, baking powder and cocoa powder into a bowl; set aside.
- Add the red food colouring to the buttermilk and set aside.
- In a large bowl beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.Then add condensed milk & vanilla essence and beat well.
- Add one third of the flour mixture to the butter mixture,fold it well, then add in half of the buttermilk. Fold in another third of flour mixture, then second half of buttermilk. End with the last third of the flour mixture, beat until well combined.
- Make sure you have cake pans buttered, floured, and nearby. In a small bowl, mix vinegar and baking soda. It will fizz!
- Add it to the cake batter and stir well to combine. Working quickly, divide batter evenly between the cake pans and place them in a preheated oven. Bake at 180degrees for 25-30 minutes. Check early, cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes in their pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. To remove the cakes from the pan, place a wire rack on top of the cake pan and invert, then gently lift the pan. Allow cakes to cool completely before frosting. Frost with buttercream or cream cheese icing.
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 50gms butter
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1½ cup icing sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence.
HOW TO MAKE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- In a large bowl add all the ingredients and whisk well until the mixture forms soft peaks and your cream cheese frosting is ready.
Now cut each cake horizontally into 2 equal parts. On a flat surface put one half of the cake. Add some sugar syrup. Spread the frosting. On this place another half and repeat the process.