Cauliflower or ‘phool gobhi’ as we call in Hindi, is the second most commonest vegetable found in almost every Indian household. First place is still held by world’s fav potato.
Many of of do not know that cauluflower contains almost 73% of Vitamin C. Due to less calorie content and a lower glycemic index it is one of the most preferred diet food. Its is a very good source of Manganese- a mineral anti-oxidant useful in oxygen related metabolism. It supports our cardiovascular system, digestive syatem, immune system and detoxification system. It is considered nutritionally rich in both cooked as well as raw forms.
In India we usually use it in making sabji, especially mix veg, pav bhaji, pulao, stuff parantha, pakoras, etc. But I decided to make a dessert out of it.
Cauliflower kheer is made by sauteeing cauliflower to remove its typical odour and then cooked in milk.
- 1 litre full cream milk
- 1 cup of grated cauliflower
- 1 teaspoon desi ghee(clarified butter)
- 1/2 cup sugar.(more or less as per your taste.)
- 2-3 green cardamom(hari elaichi)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg powder (jaiphal powder)
- Few drops of Kevda essence.
- 10-12 Soaked pistachios (pistas), slices for garnishing.
- Heat milk in a sauce pan and bring it to boil. Once boiled, lower the flame and reduce it to 3/4th of the original quantity.
- Soak the grated cauliflower for about 10 minutes.
- Wash it 4-5 times to remove its odour.
- In a pan, heat ghee and add green cardamom. Once the cardamom is fragrant add the grated cauliflower and sauté keeping high flame for about 3minutes.
- *** If you feel your cauliflower is too smelly, then place a bread slice over the sautéed cauliflower and cover the pan. Let this cook on a low flame for about 2 minutes. Remove the bread slice and maximum odour of the cauliflower would be gone.
- Now add the milk and nutmeg powder
- Let this simmer on a low flame until the cauliflower is completely softened.
- Once the cauliflower is well cooked and merged with milk add sugar. Let it dissolve cometely. Also add few drops of kevda essence.
- Here you can increase the flame to medium high. Keep stirring continuously.
- Now bring this kheer to room temperature.
- Garnish with pistachio slivers.
- Serve warm or chilled choice is yours.