This is one recipe which needs no introduction. Famous Hyderabadi dish eaten almost everyday in a hyderabadi household.
NALLI NIHARI SALAN
- 1 kg Lamb meat preferably shank portion
- 4 tbsp Oil/ ghee
- 5 tbsp Nihari masala
- 3 large onions, sliced and deep fried
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup Whole wheat flour (atta)
- Ginger,cut into thin strips.
- 5-6 cups warm water
NIHARI MASALA POWDER
***Dry roast all the whole spices from the above list and mix with powdered spices.
- Heat ghee in a deep pan, add mutton pieces and sauté on high heat till well browned. Add ginger garlic paste and nihari masala. Continue to sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add half the fried onions and mix. Add 5-6 cups of warm water and salt and bring it to a boil. Cover and cook till the mutton is completely cooked.(Will take about approximately 3hrs)
- * For time saving you can use pressure cooker. Cook the meat for 6-8 whistles
- Mix whole wheat flour in half a cup of water well so that there are no lumps. Add the remaining fried onions to the mutton mixture. Add the wheat flour mixture and mix well.
- Cook till the gravy thickens. Add ginger strips and cook till the mutton begins to leave the bones. Serve hot.
FOR CHICKEN NIHARI..
Same procedure and spuces to be used. Just the cooking time will be lessened to 1-1&1/2 hour.