Seekh Kebabs are becoming a popular street food in India. Its name originates. from the Turkish word ‘Shish’ meaning ‘skewer/sword’. Seekh kebabs are usually made from mince of lamb, beef, chicken or fish, but pork is a strict no no.
These are soft spicy, melt in mouth kebabs made from smooth minced meat. They are usually grilled over barbeque or baked in the oven.
But what if you dont have either. No worries.. Here’s a easy way out.
- 500 grams minced mutton (keema)
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 green chillies thinly chopped
- 3 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 2 tablespoon roasted chickpea flour(besan)
- 1 tablespoon red chilli powder (Kashmiri mirchi powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala powder.
- 2 tablespoon chopped green coriander powder.
- Salt to taste
- Chaat masala to sprinkle
- 2 tablespoon Oil for shallow frying/greasing
- Onion slices and mint chutney for serving
- Wash the minced meat well in water, place in the colander and squeeze out the whole water. Mix all the ingredients and knead just like a dough.
- Cover the mixture and keep aside for 3 hours. Can let this marinate in refrigerator overnight.
- Soak the wooden skewers in the water for about 1 hour and then grease them with little bit of oil. Portion the ball of keema mixture and press around the skewer. Flatten the mixture to stick tightly around the skewer. Repeat with left over mince mixture on all the other skewers.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a nonstick/grill pan. Place the skewes in the pan. Keep rotating them occasionally and bast either with butter or oil.
- When the kebab seems cooked then remove them from the skewers. Sprinkle some chaat masala and serve immediately with mint chutney, onion slices and salad.
** For a smoky flavour., Heat a small charcoal until red hot. Place a small bowl in the centre surrounded by the kebabs. Place the hot charcoal piece in the small bowl and pour oil over it. Cover the kebabs and let the smoke impart its aroma to the delicious kebabs.