Mohanthal is a well known Gujarati and Rajasthani sweet prepared during Diwali. Ir is nothing but Gramflour fudge flavoured with cardamom and nutmeg powder and garnishe with slivered almonds.Mohanthal is named so as it is believed to be one of the favourite bhog of Lord Krishna.
It is usually made by roasting grainy consistency gramflour on a low flame for almost 30-45minutes. But due to our speedy lifestyles we all, especially working ladies, find it difficult to make such delicacies at home and opt for an easy alternative. Often end up spending more by buying sweet stuffs from stores. But modern gadgets have eased our live to a great extent.
So here’s a simple and a quick catch to make Mohanthaal at home using microwave. This recipe is very easy to make if you follow the instructions well.
Here is a step by step video on how to make MOHANTHAL the traditional way
- 2 cups Gramflour/Besan(approximately 300 gms)
- 1 teaspoon Green Cardamom powder(Elaichi powder)
- 1 teaspoon Nutmeg powder(jaiphal powder)
- 3/4 cup Clarified butter(Ghee) +3 tablespoon melted.
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 1 cup Sugar (150gms)
- ½ cup water + 2 tablespoon more
- 8-10 Almonds slivered.
- In a pan heat 1 cup sugar and half cup water. To this add 1 teaspoon jaiphal powder and elaichi powder. Boil and simmer to form a one string syrup.
- While sugar syrup is getting ready, in a large mixing bowl take gram flour and add 2 tablespoon melted ghee and 2 table spoon milk. Combine ghee and milk in the flour with help of your palm.
- Now pass this flour through a thick sieve to get a bread crumb like grainy flour. ** If you wish to skip this step then jus rub in the ghee and milk and pulse the flour in a mixie jar for 5 seconds.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine this flour and the 3/4 cup ghee and mix well. Microwave this mixture on high power(i did it on 800W for 5 minutes) stirring the flour after every one minute.
- Time and power may differ due to variation in settings of different microwaves.
- Once the flour is evenly browned and fluffy its time to add the hot sugar syrup to this. Also add nutmeg powder and 2 tablespoon water.
- You are now just 3 minutes away from accomplishing this mishthaan. Again microwave on high for 3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds. (You can increase/decrease depending on the consistency.)
- Once the moisture is dried, ghee starts to separate. Now its done(Do not wait until large quantity of ghee separate. Jus when you see little amount of ghee, stop further cooking.
- On a greased plate(used the remaining 1 tablespoon ghee), pour this and flatten with the help of back of a flat bowl/plate. Sprinkle almond slivers an allow it to cool.
- Score the pieces before it cools completely otherwise the shape would be distorted. Cut into squares(or desired shape) and store in airtight containers. Enjoy!!!