Chicken tandoori. A favorite to all chicken lovers. Since the time we all remember hearing about how marinated chicken is coomed to perfection in tandoors. But in today’s modern home its not possible for city homes to have a tandoor. And making them in electric ovens or a restaurant take away on a regular basis will make a dent in our pockets. Here’s a simple, quick and easy catch to make this extremely yummy dish on a stove top.
- 1 chicken(cut into 8-12 pieces) you can also use exclusive drumsticks or chicken breasts.
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white vinager
- 4 tablespoon ginger garlic paste.
- 1/2 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1 cup thick/hung curd. (I prefer greek style yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon kashmiri/deghi chilli powder(laal mirch)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon dry fenugreek(kasuri methi)
- Oil for shallow frying/roasting
- 1 teaspoon chat masala
- 2 wedges of lime.
- Salad of choice
- 1 piece of charcoal
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Whole spices (like 1 green cardamom, 3-4 peppercorns, 2 cloves, 1/2 inch cinnamon stick and kasuri methi) are optional
- A small bowl/plate.
- Wash chicken pieces under running water and clean all impurities. Drain water completely by placing the pieces on a kitchen towel.
- With the help of a fork poke holes into the chicken pieces.
- Now in a large bowl place chicken. To this add salt, lime juice and vinegar. Rub this first marinate well into the chicken pieces. Keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Dry roast kasuri methi and crush it to powder form by rubbing between both the palms.
- In a small mixing bowl add rest all of the spices also the kasuri methi powder along with the curd.
- Pour this second marinate over the chicken once 30minute(of first marination) is over. Let this rest for one hour.(FOR BEST RESULTS OVERNIGHT MARINATION IS PREFERRED OR EKSE KEEP IN FRIDGE FOR AN HOUR)
- Now in a broad pan heat some oil and place a few marinated chicken pieces into the pan. Do not over crowd the pan.
- Sear on a high flame for 2 minutes on each side. Then lower the flame and let the chcken cook complete on both sides for another 5-6 minutes. Or till chicken is completely cooked.
- In the mean time place the charcoal for heating on gas flame. It should become red hot.
- Remove the chicken un a deep oan with a lid. Place a small bowl/plate in the centre of the chicken pieces. Add some wholespices/kasuri methi.
- Upon this place the red hot charcoal. Pour some nelted butter on this charcoal and cover the lid. Take off the lid after 5 minutes.
Serve this lipsmacking Tandoori chicken with a dash of lime juice and chat masala along with salad and chutney of choice.