With Diwali around first thing comes to our mind is SWEETS.
So to begin with here is a simple MITHAI usually gifted.
MOTICHUR LADDOO/BOONDI LADDOO
- 1 cup chickpea,gram flour (besan)
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- A pinch of soda bicarb
- Few drops of yellow/orange food colour)
- Oil for deep frying (used olive oil)
- 1 tbsp ghee(to add to oil when deep frying)
- 10-12 cashewnuts roughly chopped
- 10-12 raisins(sultana,kismis)
FOR SUGAR SYRUP
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder (Elaichi powder)
- 1 tsp rose water.
- Firstly strain the chickpea flour, cornflour and soda bicarb with help of a sieve. Add little water at a time and stir until all lumps gets dissolved. Add some more water and food colour and whisk the batter rigorously until it gets pouring consistency (for making batter from 1 cup gram flour we have used approximately ½ cup water). Keep it aside for 10-15 minutes.
To MAKE SUGAR SYRUP:-
- Take sugar in any utensil and add water into it. Let the sugar melt completely. After sugar gets dissolved cook for 3-4 more minutes and then check.
- Take 1-2 drops of syrup in a bowl, make it cool down and check with help of your thumb and forefinger. It should have one thread consistency.
- If thread is not formed cook syrup for 1-2 more minutes. Sugar syrup for ladoo is ready.
- Take oil in a pan and heat it. Add 1 tbsp ghee to it.
- Stir the gram flour mixture for one more time nicely. Place a sieve/sieve laddle 6-7 inch above the pan and pour gram flour batter on top of it with help of a spoon.
- Mixture falls in the pan and boondi gets ready. Fry until boondi turns golden brown in color. Like wise fry all boondi.
- Add cardamom, cashew nuts and raisins in the sugar syrup. Also add boondi in the syrup and mix all ingredients nicely. Soak the boondi in syrup for ½ hour. Boondi will absorb syrup into it.
- Now wet your hands with water or milk and start forming laddoos of desired size.
*If you wish to make MOTICHOOR LADDOO then use orange food colour to the boondi batter.
And once the boondi is soaked in syrup, put them in a mixer jar n pulse to a coarse texture(the motichoor texture) and shape into laddoos..
Eat, store and finish.